Monday

It's always something....

I mentioned a creative project that I am starting, and that I would 'reveal' it on here.  Well, the project had just begun and relied heavily on the use of a camera and my camera was recently stolen.

We were getting ready to leave the house on Saturday morning, only find that the back window of our car had been broken and I immediately knew why.  For the prior week, I had been using my camera frequently and I had left it in my car.  Fearing it being stolen but too lazy to bring it inside, I had placed it under the driver seat.  Apparently at some point, it slid out from under the seat where it could be seen (so no, I am not one of those people who just left it sitting on the seat).  It wasn't a terribly expensive camera or anything, just a Nikon L100, but I had gotten it setup the way I like it and I was used to shooting with it and now I have to start over.  The moral of the story is, don't leave valuables in your car.

In other news, we recently took a trip to McMinville to visit the only Frank Lloyd Wright house in Oregon which was really fun.  You pay $10 for a guided tour, and then you can wander around the home afterwards, which we did.  It was designed in 1957, but wasn't built until 1963 due to cost. It was a very interesting tour and it sparked an interest in Frank Lloyd Wright as being a bit of a playboy and quite controversial, as opposed to my view before which was of a quiet frail old man. Oh and the best part, I was able to borrow a camera for the trip so at least I got a few pictures.
Here Amber shows off the doors that close at a 90 degree angle.  This picture also shows how low the ceilings are.  Mr. Wright was short, and said that anything above 6 feet was wasted space.
I love the gallery hallway.  This is taken from an upstairs bedroom looking down the hallway to the opposite bedroom. Mr. Wright did not like hallways, but when required he made use of it as a gallery and offered a lot of storage.
 We also went to the Evergreen Air Museum and had a good time, although their tactics for making money are a little annoying.  You pay $20 per person to get into the museum which is a marvel in size, as it houses the Spruce Goose, and then you wander around and look at the planes.  You can walk right up to many of them, but if you want to look inside of a B-29 bomber, you have to pay $10.  You can step inside of the Spruce Goose and marvel at it's interior, but if you want see the cockpit you have to pay $50 per person for the chance.  I just found it a little tacky that they don't just charge you for all of the extras at the front.  

 I was able to snap a picture of this MiG 17 for free!  That grey thing in the background that looks like a wall is actually a portion of the side of the Spruce Goose.  It effing huge.

This a Soviet satellite, with styling cues from 60s era Disneyland?

And a missle!


 

3 comments:

Leah said...

sorry to hear about your camera :( I'm more afraid of losing the sd card in my camera than the camera itself...I'm bad at backing up.

and what a great house!we toured a FLW house here in NY last year, but weren't allowed to take photos, although I was really itching to.

Hope you find a new camera and can get started on your project soon!

I hope

Midcenturymadam said...

So sorry about the camera. I'm guilty of the same. It takes so long getting used to a new camera. Loved the photos of the FLW house. Really, the ceilings were only 6 ft high? That is very strange.

Pam@GoRetro said...

I love FLW - I've been to his studio home in Oak Park and I also visited the Zimmerman house in Manchester, NH - unfortunately cameras aren't allowed for the inside of the tour, but here's my blog post about it:

http://goretro.blogspot.com/2010/08/retro-places-to-visit-frank-lloyd.html