Monday

Our Bathroom

It has been a very long time since I have contributed to our blog, but I have noticed that people do in fact read it so I am going to try and post more often.

Since last time I have been working in my new career in the film industry and, fortunately, I have been busy doing it.  Part of this venture into a new career means moving to Los Angeles.  We don't know when we will be moving, exactly, but eventually it has to happen.  I have been spending time in Los Angeles and for the time being I will most likely get a small apartment there with my business partner and slowly build up to moving my wife down with me.  I say all of this, because part of my responsibility before spending months at a time shooting a film is to make sure our house here is in good shape.
What were they thinking?
We started the demolition of our bathroom with a goal in mind, to get rid of the rotting floor, and to replace the sink with a Crane Drexel.  We found a beautiful Drexel at an estate sale being sold as 'yard art' for $10.  I had it stored in the garage for the time when we could actually use it.  For 6 long months, we took the bathroom apart and prepped it as best we could but because it is the only shower in the house we had to take our time.  I tried to do a lot of the work when Amber was out of town because I tend to get frustrated with things like this, and I am not much fun to be around as a result.  We selected a tough industrial floor because it looks like the speckled 50s vinyl selections, and I installed it in a day.  Under the vinyl is concrete, I removed the old vinyl and poured a thinset over top of it to level the floor.  It was extremely nerve wracking but it turned out great, despite a few slightly crooked seams.....

The plumber came in to set the toilet and install the sink, which went great.  Then he flushed the toilet and water came out the back, all over the floor..........

Turned out that the gasket had dried out while sitting in the garage for those months.  Simple, just order a new gasket.  I contacted www.deabath.com, who specialize in vintage/antique bathrooms and fixtures, and they gave me the bad news that our toilet is extremely rare and the parts are not available........damn.

The sink was leaking too, but I was able to order those parts from the great people at www.deabath.com.  I was so upset.  The bathroom looked great, and we had committed to the green colored fixtures, and now we were going to have to replace the toilet which we can no longer purchase in green.  Then, I got a phone call from our plumber.  By this time, he had called me crazy several times for our choices in this project, but he had listened to me and understood what we wanted, and now he had come through in a big way.  He found an old plumbing shop in town and asked about our part, after doing some research of his own, and the guy happened to have the part we needed.  Covered in dust, original, but usable.

The walls are yellow, despite this photo making them appear green.

Stick to your projects.  Help your plumber, contractor, electrician, understand your vision and you will save these old homes.  They are certainly worthy of restoration.

3 comments:

Lida Swisher said...

Well, the bathroom looks good even in green! :D I can’t really tell if it’s small or spacious, but one thing’s for sure, it’s neat and brilliant! =)

Frances said...

One of those 5 foot bathtubs could definitely fit this lovely bathroom.

dell stane said...

Great article ...Thanks for your great information, the contents are quiet interesting.I will be waiting for your next post.
Atlanta plumbing repairs